History of Type
Originally the Vampire was designed by de Havilland in England as a modern jet fighter in 1942 for the RAF. It first flew in September, 1943 and first entered RAF service after WW11 in 1946.
The Vampire is made of moulded plywood which is light, strong and a none scarce war materiel. It can be built by carpenters and cabinet makers. It was armed with 4 x 20 mm Hispano Suiza Cannons. They could also carry rockets and bombs.
History of A79-160 Cockpit
The HARS Vampire cockpit section is from RAAF Vampire A79-160 which was built by as a Mk 30 fighter by de Havilland Australia at Bankstown and delivered to the RAAF on 30 September 1952.
Our cockpit section manufacturer’s serial number is #4064.
It served with 2 OUT then 21 (City of Melbourne) Squadron and was then placed into reserve storage in 1960.
In 1963 the Department of Air gave approval to convert the stored aircraft for display and recruiting purposes at the upcoming Royal Melbourne Show of 1963.
This was done by removing the wings, tail-booms and engine, and blanking off the wing roots/intakes with plywood.
Chrome plated lugs were then inserted through the fuselage plywood to allow an access ladder to be hung off the side of the aircraft. The cockpit can now be viewed and accessed from an adjacent platform.