Single engine two-seater advanced jet trainer aircraft
History of Type
Originally designed by Hawker De Havilland in England as a modern jet fighter in 1942 for the RAF. The Vampire first flew in September 1943 and first entered RAF service just after WW11 in 1946.
The Vampire is made of moulded plywood, which is light and strong and a “none scarce” war materiel. It can be built by carpenters and/or cabinet makers. Armed with 4 x 20 mm Hispano Suiza Cannons, and they could also carry rockets and bombs.
History of A79-637 (#DHA 4159) and A79-665 (#DHA 4187)
Our aircraft A79-637 (#DHA 4159) and A79-665 (#DHA 4187) were part of ~80 Vampires built here in Australia at de Havilland’s Bankstown factory in the 1950s. They are both two seater versions. Both a fighter and for training with instructor and student side by side.
Both aircraft were in RAAF service through the 1950s and 1960s. Interestingly at some time both aircraft were in the RAAF Aerobatic Team called the TELSTARS in the period 1963/1967. They were disposed of in the early 1970s.
A79-637 is being restored to airworthy condition. It was owned by Father Jeremy Flynn and was purchased by HARS in 1997. It is registered as VH-FJW (Father Jeremy’s Wish). A79-665 is not airworthy but is taxi-able and after RAAF disposal was owned by several museums and became part of the HARS collection in ~2007.
Engines: 1 x de Havilland Goblin 35 centrifugal flow turbojet, ~3,300 lb thrust
Maximum takeoff weight: 5,800 kg
Length: 10.53 m
Wing span: 11.58 m
Height: 1.93 m
Cruising speed: ~510 km/h (max ~880 km/h)
Ceiling: 40,000 ft
Range: ~1,350 km (~2,000 km with external tanks)
Crew: 1 x pilot plus 1 x student